Deadline for entries: 17. December 2019
The 15th “Web Accessibility Challenge” is your opportunity to showcase advanced Web and Mobile technologies to technical leaders from academia and industry. The main goal of the Challenge is to encourage and accelerate the development of innovative and usable technologies, as well as provide feedback from end-users and experts in the field. The Challenge is where experimental systems and technologies are compared and evaluated both by the delegates and an independent panel of judges to identify the most significant advances in accessibility research that year. Our deadlines have been chosen to give successful applicants as much time as possible for making their travel and accommodation arrangements.
- Judges Award is decided by a panel of judges. Judges will be announced soon.
- Delegates Award is decided by the audience.
Submission materials and details
Second: After completing the submission of the PDF file, it is now possible to add the supplementary files (the demonstration media file and the optional software).
- For large movie files, you can consider alternative methods for submission such as posting on YouTube; in this case, please add a tag “#w4a2020” to the movie, and submit a file with the URL of the movie. The maximum length of the movie is 5 minutes.
- Abstracts and movies should emphasize the innovative ideas in the system; do not demonstrate whole functions including usual or average functions.
- The demonstration movies should be non-visually accessible; please consider adding audio descriptions and not adding unnecessary audio (e.g., background music).
- Any kind of system that improves usability and accessibility is acceptable, such as mobile applications, assistive technologies, voice browsers, browser plug-ins, server-based services, telephony systems, etc.
- Open source systems are welcome
A presentation and demonstration will be part of the W4A event, thus attendance of at least one author is mandatory.
If you have any questions relating to the submission process, please email email@example.com.
Challenge Details for Delegates
This year the W4A Web Accessibility Challenge will involve two activities:
- A five to ten minute pitch presentation
- A five to ten minute lightning demo
During a 5-10 minute presentation, each Challenge entrant will “pitch” their solution to delegates and articulate the innovative aspects of their technology and how it advances accessibility and usability. Their presentation will define the accessibility issue their technology solves, and describe the innovations one can expect to see during the demonstration session that will follow.
There will be a scheduled break following the Presentation Session.
To ensure the session can commence on schedule, please return from the break on time. Delegates will then be given a voting ballot paper, split into groups and assigned a station where they will start the demonstration session. When the bell rings, the presenter at the station will do his or her 5-10 minute demo of the innovative aspect of their technology. The presenter may or may not allocate time for questions during the session.
After five minutes the bell will ring again, at which time your group will move on to the next demo. This continues until all groups have visited all the demos. “Timekeepers” will be present who will facilitate the rotation between demo stations.